The primary PE and Sports premium have been secured for the academic year 2022/2023 by the government. It is a fund to be specifically used for the improvement of the provision of physical education and sport in Primary Schools in England. All young people should have the opportunity to live healthy and active lives.
A positive experience of sport and physical activity at a young age can build a lifetime habit of participation, and is central to meeting the government's ambitions for a world class education system.
Physical activity has numerous benefits for children and young people’s physical health, as well as their mental well-being (increasing self-esteem and emotional well-being and lowering anxiety and depression), and children who are physically active are happier, more resilient and more trusting of their peers. Ensuring that pupils have access to sufficient daily activity can also have wider benefits for pupils and schools, improving behaviour as well as enhancing academic achievement.
To measure the success of this fund, we would expect to see improvement across the following key indicators:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
Suggestions for the above indicators can be achieved by:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers
- Hiring qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- Provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- Providing school sports clubs
- Increase pupils’ participation in sporting events and competitions
- Participate in sports activities alongside other schools
The government provides our school with £16000 a year plus £10 per head for the improvement of the provision of physical education and sport.
Please click on the link below for details regarding:
- Key achievements to date
- Areas for further improvement and baseline evidence of need
- Swimming competency of our year six pupils
- A financial breakdown of planned spending for 2022/23