Choosing a school is an important event and we want to help you make the right choice. We are always pleased to meet prospective parents, to answer questions and to show them around.
Children start school in the Reception class in the September after their fourth birthday. We have an excellent induction program of visits and activities during the summer term which means that children settle into our school very quickly.
In deciding on admissions to voluntary controlled schools in Derbyshire, the following order of priority will be adopted.
- Looked after children and children who were looked after but ceased to be so because they were adopted (or became subject to a residence order or special guardianship order).
- Children living in the normal area served by the school at the time of application and admission who have brothers or sisters attending the school at the time of application and admission.
- Children living in the normal area served by the school at the time of application and admission.
- Children not living in the normal area served by the school but who have brothers or sisters attending the school at the time of application and admission.
- In the case of voluntary controlled church schools, children whose parents request a place on religious grounds.
- Other children whose parents have requested a place.
Where, in the case of 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6, choices have to be made between children satisfying the same criteria, those children living nearest to the school measured by the straight line distance will be given preference.
- Please note that we welcome families of any faith and those who have no faith. This school does not operate selection based on church membership.
In Year Admissions
St George's CE Primary School participates in the Local Authority’s Co-ordinated Admission Scheme for in-year admissions. Details of the Co-ordinated Admission Scheme and how in-year applications are managed can be seen at https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/education/schools/school-places/changing-schools/changing-schools.aspx
Parents of children wishing to start at our school at other times, for example as a result of a house move, can contact the school in the first instance to request a place. If a year group is full (30 children), it is not always possible to offer places and the school maintains a waiting list. If a place becomes available, it will be offered in the order that applications were received.
We are happy to help if we can assist in any way. If you require help or further information, please call the school or the Admissions Team at County Offices in Matlock.